Create some eye catching posters that you can put up in the dining hall or cafeteria to remind pupils to waste less food.
You might want to include some eye-watering facts, like:
- Over 1/3 of all food produced globally goes to waste
- Between 33 to 50% of all food produced globally is never eaten, and the value of this wasted food is worth over $1 trillion
- An area larger than China is used to grow food that is never eaten
- If food waste was a country it would be the 3rd largest emitter of greenhouse gases (after China & the USA)
- When food waste goes to landfill, which is where the vast majority of it ends up, it decomposes without access to oxygen and creates methane, which is 23 x more deadly than carbon dioxide
Do some research and find out more food waste facts.
Don't forget to include pictures of your posters when you record this activity.