Things to consider when writing a school energy policy:
- Who has responsibility for energy?
- How will progress be monitored?
- How will progress be communicated to everyone in the school?
- Is your school willing to invest staff time and money in energy saving?
- How will the energy policy link to other school policies such as procurement (buying) or the school development plan?
Ideas you could include in your school energy policy:
- Create an Energy Team to ensure that the actions decided upon are carried out.
- Review this energy management matrix.
- Regularly monitor and evaluate energy use in order to establish a baseline and enable easy identification of problems.
- Create an Action Plan and ensure the whole school understands it and is aware of the actions, including their individual responsibilities.
- Set an energy performance improvement target.
- Monitor energy use and progress against the targets in your Action Plan.
- Communicate regularly with the whole school community, informing them of progress made and ways to improve further.